Saturday, August 28, 2010

This Is Madness. (And No, It Is Not Sparta. More Like UVU.)

So fall semester just started. And it's insane.

I transferred from SUU that is located in Cedar City, Utah. Here are some statistics:

Population of SUU: 8,000-ish
Population of Cedar: 29,000
Population of UVU: 30,000

Yeah, so by my calculations, there are about 22,000 too many students at this university. It takes me about 20 minutes to find a parking spot. In every hallway, a mass of people go one direction & a mass of people go the other and trying to get to a class from one side to the other is like a real life game of Frogger. I get really uncomfortable in huge groups of people, especially if I don't know anyone. So UVU is pretty much a nightmare.
However, despite the terrifying masses of people, UVU is starting to grow on me. I like my classes. I like my professors. I'm even managing to make some friends, believe it or not. And despite the fact that there are 30,000 students, there are some times when I see the same person more than once. It makes the campus seem a bit smaller.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but I am a part of an improv group called, "What's So Funny?" We meet every Tuesday night for practice. We haven't scheduled any shows yet but hopefully we'll get going on that soon. I really like being a part of it. It's kind of funny. In high school drama, I never ever liked improv. It drove me nuts. But now I really, really like it. And the other people in the group are really awesome. I enjoy spending time with them. Some of them make me laugh so hard, I feel like I’m going to die. Good stuff.

Hopefully I’ll be getting a job soon. I applied for a tutoring job with my old high school. The guy I talked too seemed to really want to hire me. So I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 22 years old is just too old to have to keep asking your parents for money. In order to be available for the job, I had to rearrange my schedule a lot. It’s gotten to the point where only two of the classes I attended on the first day I’m still registered for. I’m even taking an evening class. But I really don’t care if it means getting this job. I know it won’t be as epic or awesome as when I was tutoring in Joe’s classes but I don’t think anything else will be. Ever. That job pretty much ruined me.
Other than all that, I can’t think of anything else that’s worth mentioning in my life. I’ve been working on a poem for the last few days. I really like the idea behind it so I want to make sure it’s the best I can get it before I post it. I’ve also been working on some other “Experiments in Writing” that hopefully will be up here soon. I’m not really sure now that school is in full swing again and I have the UVU paper to write for, my improv group, and (hopefully) a job. But I like that I’m going to be busy. I was never one to enjoy idleness.

So until next time, I guess.
Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment