Sunday, April 17, 2011

How My Failed Attempts to Impress Guys Turned Into My Favorite Things

I was driving home from an overall weird & slightly uncomfortable experience last night when it dawned on me: a lot of my personality or, more specifically, my interests have stemmed from me trying to impress a guy.

It's true, in a shockingly high number of instances.

I started listening to Dashboard Confessional to impress David, Dropkick Murphys to impress Scott, and Ben Folds to impress Joe. I started reading Russian Literature and Chuck Palahniuk to impress Brian, comic books to impress Joe, The Walking Dead to impress Jarom, and Heart of Darkness to impress J.R.. I started watching Sons of Anarchy to impress Andy and Dr. Who to impress Joe. I started dabbling in photography to impress Sage and philosophy to impress Gus & Brian. There are other examples but this is probably sufficient to make my point.

The thing is while I became interested in these various things to impress a guy, I now genuinely like them and enjoy participating in them. I've read boatloads of Russian Literature & comic books, and everything ever written by Chuck Palahniuk. Ben Folds & the Dropkick Murphys are two of my favorite bands (Dashboard was for a very long time in my life but I have since grown out of them). I love Sons of Anarchy, Dr. Who, photography & philosophy.

It makes me feel weird knowing that the initial interest in these various things stemmed from trying to get a guy to notice me. But I don't think it should matter now. I mean, if I didn't enjoy these things, I probably would stop doing time, right? But I really, really do enjoy them. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter where the origin of your interests comes from as long as your continued interest is genuine.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment