Monday, July 25, 2011

Liberated Woman


I start today's post off with this clever protest sign because that perfectly describes my feelings towards the topic I'm about to discuss. Or, rather, "I can't believe we still have to deal with this shit."

A few weeks ago, I was called "cheap and easy." The guy who hurled these hurtful words (I have written about this asshole before) meant them in all honesty. Why he called me them is unknown but I will say that he and I have fooled around on occasion over the last few months (this does not excuse his behavior in the least but does provide you dear & faithful readers some context).

While I was personally hurt by such unkind words, I was even more furious that in this day & age we are still resorting to classifying women in these terms. The guy in question will basically stick it in anything with a pulse. I, on the other hand, have only fooled around with guys. I am still a virgin and am likely to remain so for a bit longer. Sidenote: I have no problems with sex, nor do I put the act up on a pedestal. However, I do not see the point in "losing it" just to lose it. If and when I lose my virginity, it will be with someone I care about and whom I trust. This is my own personal decision and I don't need to explain a goddamn thing. For him, a sexually promiscuous man, to call me, a woman who is still a virgin, cheap & easy is so ironic it's disgusting.

Why do we still have such ridiculous double standards in our society? When a man goes about sleeping with various women, he's regarded as a hero. If a woman does the same, she's regarded as a trashy whore. I do not understand this in the least.

I have referred to myself as a liberated woman on several occasions. While most people snicker at such a term, I know hardly any of them understand what I mean by it. I know other women who also use the term and who also receive the same reactions, laughter with an undertone of ignorance. This needs to stop. So here it is, what it means to be a liberated woman.

As liberated women, we do not accept the expectations that our patriarchal society has placed upon us as women. We do not accept the double standard placed upon us as women when it comes to sexuality. It is our choice and our choice alone who we sleep with and how often we do it. These choices are our own goddamn business and no one else's. We are in control of our own bodies and our own sexuality. We reject all labels and terms that are derogatory in nature when it comes to our sexuality. We are proud of our sexuality and do not feel ashamed to discuss it openly with those interested in hearing it. It is our choice. It has always been our choice. It will always remain our choice.

If you don't like it, deal with it.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment