Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Glorious Silence of Sundays

I love Sundays. They are one of my favorite days of the week. Now, this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact it's the Christian day of worship. Well, I guess it has a little to do with it. But it has nothing to do with me using it as a day of worship.

You see, while there are some benefits to living at home (free rent, good food, free laundry, etc.), there are some obvious major drawbacks. One of these is I never have any time alone. There is nearly always someone else home. Don't get me wrong, I love my family very much. But when you spend an inhuman amount of time with anyone, you're going to start getting annoyed with them. Now, I do have my own bedroom which serves as a mini sanctuary from the chaos that is family. The only trouble is even when I'm in my bedroom, I can still hear everyone that is in the house and it's impossible to feel like I have any time alone to myself because I can still hear everyone else.

You see, my bedroom just so happens to be in the most inconvenient place in the house when it comes to noise control. On the other side of one of my walls is the stairs, so I can hear everyone that goes up and down. My room also is below the hallway upstairs leading to two bedrooms, a bathroom, and my mom's office. Obviously, this hallway gets a lot of traffic and I can hear every goddamn footstep/stomp/pitter-patter of doggie feet. There's also this one spot right at the top of the stairs that squeaks every time you put any weight on it. It's super annoying.

On the other side of the stairs is our downstairs living room, which has our main t.v. in the house. A few years ago, my dad finally got the surround sound package he has always wanted. I must admit, it's a pretty slick set up. The only trouble is it booms through my walls as if they weren't even there. The hall leading from the living room to my bedroom has tiled floors so the hall works as an echo-amplifier. Now, add to this that my 17 year old sister likes to invite her hoard of teenage friends over to "watch" movies at night (I put watch in quotes because they don't seem to do a lot of watching. They most talk very loudly, laugh, and scream. They're no longer allowed to watch old Disney movies because they would sing all the songs. I put a stop to that right quick), and my 20 year old sister who likes to watch soccer games and screams every time something happens that doesn't suite her, and you get the idea of how terribly noisy it can get for me.

Now, if you walk out of my bedroom, you enter the laundry room. This also has tile floor and the room also acts as a echo-amplifier. There are 5 people living at our house and my mom insists on doing everyone's laundry (something about saving water...I don't know), which means the washer & dryer are constantly going. Also, my bedroom is underneath my mom's office, which normally isn't too bad. Except she has this paper shredder that I swear rattles the whole house when it's functioning. Also, my bedroom is in the basement. I have one window that looks out at the lawn. When the lawn is being mowed, there is not chance in hell I can do anything but focus on the noise of the mower.

Now, what does all of this have to do with Sundays? I'll tell you. My parents and my sister attend one LDS ward at 9 o'clock. My other sister attends another LDS ward at 9:30 a.m.. This means that from roughly 9 a.m. to a bit past noon, I have the entire house to myself. I wake up and eat a leisurely, undisturbed breakfast, I let the dogs play outside, I watch some of the shows I have recorded on t.v. But more often than not, I sit in my bed and read or goof-off online. Why? Because the entire house is silent. Not a single noise to be heard besides the occasional snoring of my labrador Ralphie, or the sighs (literal sighs) of my small terrier, Randy. It's glorious. I even set my alarm so I can be awake to enjoy these 3 hours of silent bliss. Pathetic? Probably. But I don't care.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment