Thursday, June 2, 2011

John-Ross Boyce and His Troubles Receive the Kelly Cannon Seal of Approval

Listen up, People. It's high time I promote someone else's creative genius on here. And I can't think of a better way to start than by telling all ya'll about John-Ross Boyce and his Troubles.

I've talked about these guys before. It's my friends' band. Now, before you all go rolling your eyes thinking, "Please. Everyone has a friend who's in a band & says they're the greatest," let me assure you that  I would never promote just any old band willy-nilly. These guys are one of my favorite bands. They play what they refer to as "gutter country," which is to say a gritty country sound infused with bluesy, gospel-y, revival-esque sound. (Keep in mind I am lousy when it comes to describing music. Bear with me.)

However, I can tell you their lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. If there is one thing I look for in music, it's beautifully tragic lyrics with a devastatingly raw voice singing them. And that is John-Ross Boyce and his Troubles to a "T". Here is a sample of their lyrics from their song, "I Bought a Rope":

I don't know if I'm going to die tonight
Lord, I hope I finally get it right
I went down to the hardware store and I bought myself a rope
And I tied it to the balcony and I sat down to write a note
but goddamn that writers block made me start to pour some shots
just to loosen up the thoughts inside my head
What do you know? I ended up dead drunk instead of simply dead

What makes this song extra awesome is the tune is quite catchy and upbeat-esque. Need more convincing? Here's lyrics from their song "Holy Sabbath Impending":

It seems that I've misplaced my keys
Don't you distract me from the search, my dear, with siren calls to bed
Right now I've got a swarm of angry hornets buzzing in my head
Make you useful, darling
Help me turn this bedroom upside down
There's no goddamn way I'll slide between them knees 
until my woes are drown in a river of whiskey

Trust me, these guys carry with them the official Kelly Cannon Seal of Approval. 

So where do you come in, dear and faithful readers? I'm so glad you asked. 

The Troubles have this lovely website: http://music.troubledtunes.com/

There you can download their EP, The Intemperance. It's well worth it. If you don't, you'll smush my feelings. 

Love you.
Mean it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment