Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Logophilia

The other day I was discussing tattoo ideas with a friend. I have always wanted a tattoo for as long as I can remember. However, there has never been any image that has strongly resonated with me to the point I'd permanently put in on my body. I'm not an image/symbol type of person. The only symbol that I've felt close to is the symbol for the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense from the Hellboy comics.


I started reading those comics during my horrible transition form Cedar City to Provo. Those comics struck a chord with me. I had the symbol made into a sticker for my car. But other than that, no real image has ever been significant to me.

However, I do admit I am a logophile. A logophile is a lover of words. I love how every word has a precise definition & meaning and how you can convey your feelings or ideas with exactness by using one word over the other. There are millions of words in the English language and using the rules of grammar, we can communicate with others. There are some of us who are able to use the same words & rules and string them together to create beauty. Using the right words in the right order can make someone laugh or cry or think or just stand in awe. I love it.

So I wanted to share with you some of my favorite words & their meanings. I know not all of you are logophiles like me but I hope you enjoy this rich accumulation of awesome words.

pejorative: expressing contempt or disapproval.

unwittingly: not done on purpose; unintentional.
inadequate: not adequate; lacking the quality or quantity required; insufficient for a purpose.
genuine: truly what something is said to be; authentic; (of a person, emotion, or action) sincere.

lie: an intentionally false statement; used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression.

liar: a person who tells lies.
uncomfortable: causing or feeling slight pain or physical discomfort; causing or feeling unease or awkwardness

disparage: regard or represent as being of little worth.
inalienable: unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

megalomaniac: a person who is obsessed with their own power; a person who suffers delusions of their own power or importance.

requiem: a Mass for the repose of the souls of the dead; an act or token of remembrance.

vain: having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth; producing no result; useless; having no meaning or likelihood of fulfillment.

insinuate: suggest or hint (something bad or reprehensible) in an indirect and unpleasant way.

gregarious: (of a person) fond of company; sociable.

deism: belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator whodoes not intervene in the universe.

pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

rogue: a person whose behavior one disapproves of but who is nonetheless likable or attractive.

ideology: the ideas and manner of thinking characteristic of a group, socialclass, or individual.

hyperbole: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
collude: come to a secret understanding for a harmful purpose; conspire.

assiduous: showing great care and perseverance.

fastidious: very attentive to and concerned about accuracy and detail; very concerned about matters of cleanliness.

yuppie: a well-paid young middle-class professional who works in a city job and has a luxurious lifestyle.

hipster: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions.

sabbatical: a period of paid leave granted to a college teacher for study or travel, traditionally every seventh year.

hiatus: a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.

propaganda: chiefly derogatory information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view

disillusion: disappointment resulting from the discovery that something is not as good as one believed it to be.

innocuous: not harmful or offensive.
capricious: given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

tempestuous: characterized by strong and turbulent or conflicting emotion.

rapture: a feeling of intense pleasure or joy; thetransporting of believers to heaven at the second coming of Christ.

savvy: know or understand; shrewd and knowledgeable in the realities of life.

depraved: morally corrupt.
misogynist: a man who hates women.
misanthrope: a person who dislikes humankind and avoids human society.

Love you.
Mean it.

1 comment:

  1. If you get a tattoo your dad will take it off with a cheese grater. Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete