Saturday, January 29, 2011

Very Few Places

I usually don’t drink two nights in a row
but it’s Newlin’s birthday and
(debatably)
you only turn 27 once 
so I’ll make an exception.

It’s weird, almost surreal.
I work with these people every week
and have only recently stopped feeling like
the odd-man-out
I guess when you get a drink in you
and you relax enough
you become aware of privileged information

Like how conversations with Rob
always seem to be about something else
than what he really wants to talk about.
How Newlin, though guarded, is 
a genuinely nice guy. 

And no matter how much he drinks
and shrugs off my concerned glances,
J.R. is still that same gentle, kind person
I’ve only recently discovered.
Even if he tries to deny it 
and claim he’s no good for anyone,
I can still see it in his occasional look
and half-smile.

And even though most of the night is spent
with me not saying a word
and sometimes
not even listening to anyone else
there are very few places I’d rather be.

Love you.
Mean it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment