Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Because It Wasn't There Before

One of the reasons I love to write so much is the process of creation. I've been thinking about this ever since someone asked me a question on formspring. They asked when I will write my Mormon "exit story." In my explanation, I talk about how that story is told and perfected in my head and it wouldn't be any fun to write it. It would be more like typing it.

When I go to write something, I usually start off with a very small idea or a phrase or even just a word that intrigues me. I start writing and just see where it takes me. I try to get as much out as possible before I begin to self-edit. That process, me typing on my laptop, expressing ideas and emotions through my words, it's the most fun and exhilarating thing I can do. It's a glorious experience to create something that wasn't there before. And once it's all over, I send it out there to be read or ignored or whatever. It doesn't matter either way too much. What matters is that feeling of creation; to look down and see your work and know it's something that wasn't there before. I guess that's one of the big reasons why I write. To put it simply, it's fun.

Another reason is the fact no one can say what I have to say in the precise manner in which I say it. I know that's a bit confusing but think of it this way: if I don't write it, who will? I have my own voice, my own thoughts, my own experiences. If I don't write about them, if I don't try to express these ideas and experiences, who will? Just like with creation I am able to put something out there that wasn't there before. And if I don't create something that wasn't there before, no one will.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this process of creation is not only fun and exciting but also vital (I'm not just speaking of my own work but creation in general). Everyone is capable of creating something to express themselves. Everyone needs to create. Because if they don't, who will?
Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment