Thursday, February 3, 2011

Long Shot

About last night,

I know people do silly things
when they’re not thinking clearly.
And alcohol is notorious for making one
not think clearly
Maybe it makes me too optimistic,
too hopeful.

But when I was driving home
I thought about everything that had happened 
and everything that had been said, 
thinking of all those reasons you listed, 
why you’re no good
for anyone.
When I said I liked you, 
I was telling the truth and 
even after you listed your reasons
I didn’t change my mind.

And while driving home in 2 a.m. fog, 
an occurrence so rare for this place
I’ve only seen it once before in my life,
I realized I was being foolish.

And while trying to sleep that night,
trying not to notice your scent still lingering on my clothes,
I knew I was yet again a victim
of my own wishful yet silly thinking.

And I don’t blame you.
It’s not the first time & 
I knew it was a long shot
to begin with. 

Love you.
Mean it. 

1 comment:

  1. You better not have been drinking and driving or I will kill you!!!

    ReplyDelete