Friday, January 28, 2011

Some of my Favorite Quotes

Due to circumstances that were completely in my control, I didn't get much sleep last night. I was in a state of waking & sleeping from about 1:30 a.m. till 5:00 a.m. when I decided to wake up and really mean it.

What does this have to do with you, dear reader? Nothing really, except what I had intended on waking up and writing about (either why I started writing, how feminism & being a feminist is considered a bad thing nowadays or the mortifying awfulness that was my Wednesday night) will have to be postponed until I sleep and therefore make sense.

But fear not, faithful reader. I have not left you alone on this cold January morning. What you may or may not know about me is I am a collector of quotes. I have been since high school. I don't know why but I do. So here I present you with a list of some of my favorite quotes to help you jump start you day.

"Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy marshmallows, which is pretty much the same thing."
-Unknown

"A man can get along with any woman as long as he does not love her."
-Oscar Wilde

"Be careful to cast out the devil. You may be casting out the best part of you."
-Edgar Allan Poe 

"Women who aspire to be equal to men lack ambition."
-Timothy Leary

"Sometimes I feel discriminated against but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can anyone deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It's beyond me."
-Zora Neale Hurston

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
-Oscar Wilde

"People are always wondering how to get blood out of their clothes. I you have big blotches of blood on your clothes, laundry is the least of your problems."

"If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh. And let the hostages laugh too. Cause, c'mon, life's funny."
-Jack Handy
(Also my senior quote)

"Call me sadistic, but there is something great about watching Nazis get shot in the face."
-Chris Bodily about Inglorious Basterds.

"We read to know we are not alone."
-C.S. Lewis

"Doesn't reincarnation strike you as just another form of procrastination?"
-Chuck Palahniuk

"A good story should make you laugh and a moment later break your heart."
-Chuck Palahniuk

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
-Kahlil Gibran

"The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in its loyalty to each other."
-Mario Puzo

"He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done."
-Leonardo da Vinci

"I have loved to the point of madness, that which is called madness, that which to me is the only sensible way to love."
-Francoise Sagan

"Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn--my God, do you learn."
-C.S. Lewis

"I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between. 
-Sylvia Plath

"You begin saving the world by saving one may at a time; all else is grandiose Romanticism or politics."
-Charles Bukowski

"Do you realize that all great literature--Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, A Farewell to Arms, The Scarlet Letter, The Red Badge of Courage, The Iliad & The Odyssey, Crime & Punishment, the Bible, and The Charge of the Light Brigade--are all about what a bummer it is to be a human being?"
-Kurt Vonnegut

"If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values--they're hobbies."
-Jon Stewart

"A free soul is rare, but you know it when you see it--basically because you feel good, very good, when you are near or with them"
-Charles Bukowski

"A learning experience is one of those things that say, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.'"
-Douglas Adams

"I love deadlines. I love the sound they make as they fly by."
-Douglas Adams

"I had a teacher I liked who used to say good fiction's job was to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable."
-David Foster Wallace. 

That's all for now. It's now 7:41 a.m. and I need to shower. I have a breakfast date with my Numero Uno.

Love you. 
Mean it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment