Saturday, March 26, 2011

She Really Is Into You: A Guide on How to Stop Being Oblivious

It seems like whenever I talk to one of my guy friends (which is nearly all the time because, let's face it, I don't like girls. I can only think of about ten girls whom I would consider to be close girlfriends) he'll start talking about some girl. He'll start describing something she did or something they said. Without looking up, I'll usually say something like, "She likes you." Then, unfailingly, he will look at me incredulously and says, "What? How do you know that? Did she tell you that?" And no, she did not (I hate girls, remember?). I'll then begin to describe the various subtle hints she has been dropping left & right that he has been absolutely oblivious to.

I can't think of how many times this has happened. And I realize that girls are creatures of subtlety and guys are basically oblivious creatures but, really? Are guys that dense that they can't even figure out that a chick likes them? To try and combat this issue, here is a handy dandy guide. If you're the proud home of a Y-chromosome, read, reread, & apply.


Subtle Hint #1: She will text you, asking you what you're up to, says she's either doing something or not doing something, and will casually invite you to join her. 
By casually, I mean she'll use the words, "...if you like," "...if you want." She'll make it seem like it's a passing thought, like if you don't have anything else to do. A guy will read these words and think, "Oh, it's not big deal if I come over or not." But I promise, this chick is really trying to say, "I want you to come over. Now." She can't say those words exactly because it would make her sound desperate or demanding. So, men of the world, if a girl casually asks you to join her, DO IT!

Subtle Hint #2: If the group splits up, she'll make an excuse for staying with whatever faction you're joining. 
Again, she'll make this seem like a casual thing, like the faction she is joining is the one she always wanted. She'll make it seem like no big deal. But, I assure you, it is a Big. Freaking. Deal. She wants to spend time with you. She wants to be around you. Your male brain may not be able to process this but girls equate spending time with someone as an expression of affection. Never ever dismiss the power of spending time together.

Subtle Hint #3: She seems especially concerned about your well-being. 
She'll ask about your day or how you're doing, and if you respond by saying you're sick or depressed or what have you, she'll be worried or concerned. She'll ask questions & really listen. She'll ask what she can do to help or just offer her help flat-out. She likes you, therefore, she cares about your physical and emotional well being. She'll check up with you later & ask if you're feeling better. She may even bring you a little something because she was "worried." Don't brush her off as being overly concerned. She is just the right amount of concern.

Subtle Hint #4: She remembers little details from previous conversations.
You'll be talking to this girl and you'll say something like, "And then my dog ran over & jumped in my aunt's lap" and she'll say, "Oh, your dog Max?" This is extremely subtle, gentleman, and you may not even notice it. But what she just did was remember that your dog is named Max. You had probably mentioned this at a previous point in time. The key is that she remembered it. This may not seem like a bit deal, but, trust me, it is. She remembered because when you talk to her, she really listens. I mean, really listens.

Subtle Hint #5: She'll touch your shoulder, arm, leg, etc. more than average but not so much as to be blatantly obvious about it. 
It might just be a brief hand on the leg when she's laughing. It may be a hand on your shoulder when she's expressing sympathy (or snarky condescension, depending on the girl). These brief physical encounters may not seem like much, but if they occur semi-frequently, then that girl is trying to tell you something via body language. Pay attention.

Subtle Hint #6: She says the words, "I like you."
The End.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment