Sunday, December 5, 2010

Singing

Last night was a birthday party for my friends Mary & Pricila. The evening included playing pool, dancing, catching up with friends, a photobooth, lots of food, and pièce de résistance: Glee Karaoke. I don't watch the show Glee. My taste in television usually leans towards shows where a dead body or two are involved (See Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Mentalist, etc). And while I am usually opposed to singing in public, my friends worked me over to sing a simple version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane." I only acquiesced because I actually like that song a lot. However, this was before I knew the song "Proud Mary" was an option. Never heard of it? Yes you have. Here's Ms. Turner singing it like a goddess. Mary and Pricila sang it and I had to join in (from the comfort of the couch to the right). And it was then I remembered how much I have always wanted to sing that way.

I've never considered myself much of a singer. I was in A Capella my senior year of high school and was very minor roles in school musicals but that was about it. It never bothered me too much. I never really liked singing musical numbers or pop-ish melodies. But I do have a sincere and lustful desire to be able to sing jazz, blues, gospel, and soul; something with a little attitude and "umph" behind it would suit me just fine. Alas, I am about as white as white could be and wasn't blessed with the most stunning voice either. I know if I had the time/money to take voice lessons, I could train my voice to sing better but I don't see the point anymore. If I found a genie, my very first wish would be to be able to sing like a big black southern woman, full of soul, emotion, and power.

Maybe in the next life...

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment