Saturday, January 15, 2011

Unabashed Honesty

Last night, I gave you a ride into Provo.

I've only seen you on occasion when we both happen to be working. But you've always made me laugh my favorite kind of laugh--a loud burst and then a sudden urge to stop being so loud since it may not be appropriate to laugh at such a comment. It reminds me of this friend (more than a friend, really) that I used to have. He could always get me to laugh like that.

I was surprised by how easy conversation came between the two of us. Maybe I'm just used to guys whose conversation skills are that of a highly intelligent rock. But what struck me was how real and genuine you were. I rarely meet anyone with that kind of unabashed honesty. It was refreshing and invigorating. There was no embarrassment from you telling me these personal stories and there was no embarrassment from me listening to them. I hope you understand how rare that is, especially from two people who don't know each other on any level deeper than acquaintance.

The more you talked about your life, the more intriguing you became to me. There was this underlying sadness yet tenderness within you that began to show itself the more you talked. I am a cynical when it comes to most things but listening to you, I could tell you are more than anything a good person who wants to do right.

I'm glad I gave you a ride into Provo and we had a chance to talk. It's always relieving to find someone who thinks and feels the same way I do. It helps make the idea of tomorrow that much more bearable.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment