Sunday, January 9, 2011

#89: What is something you know you are lousy at?

Oh, geez. Where to begin?

For starters, I am a lousy cook. I don't know what it is. I just can't do it. Every time I try to cook something, it turns into a complete disaster. I even screw up Easy Mac! If I can't even properly cook something that has "Easy" in its name, I have some serious issues. (However, I can bake like no one's business.)

I can't draw worth beans. Even my stick figures look uncomfortable to even exist. My whole life I wish I were an artist. But I just can't draw or paint or do anything in the fine arts department (I have had a few photos published before, so maybe that's one kind of fine art I can do). Why do you think I've worked so hard on writing? It's cause my dream of becoming an artist died years ago.

I am really bad at strategy games such as Risk, Stratego, chess, and others. I just can't think three steps ahead of my opponent. I can't even think one step ahead. I'm lucky enough to provide enough thinking time to my own side. Monopoly is the one exception. I love playing Monopoly & I rock at it.

Despite me being an English major, I am a lousy speller. I honestly don't know who made the rule that English majors have to be good spellers because I'm pretty sure some of the worst spellers I know are English majors or even English professors! (I'm looking at you, Joe.) I especially hate it when people ask me to spell something out loud. I can't do it. I get lost in the word, forget where I'm at, and end up spelling it wrong. If they could just give me a piece of paper, I could write it for them. This is probably why I hated spelling in grade school. My mom would make me spell the words out loud to her and I hated it! But I would get perfect scores on my exams so my mom figured the "spelling out loud" strategy worked. NO! I got perfect scores because I was writing the freaking word down and not saying it out loud! Why else would I get out on the first round of every goddamn spelling bee I was ever forced to participate in???

While we're on this note, I suck at Scrabble. I have no other comment on the matter. 

Love you.
Mean it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment