Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 12: Just another day.

It's been two years and two days since the worst day of my life. After that day, I never thought life would be the same again. I was so sure that I had lost everything and that day would haunt me for the rest of my life.

But a funny thing happened. The day, March 12, came and went and I didn't remember it. It didn't even really register on my mind. It wasn't the anniversary of the worst day of my life. It was just March 12, a Monday, the first real day of spring break.

I spent the day applying for jobs then, in the evening, I went to a meeting for the Coalition Against Discrimination. After the meeting, I went dumpster diving for the first time in my life with my friends in the coalition (it's not as gross as it sounds. Plus, free pizza!) then we went back to the house and watched "Fargo" while eating semi-stolen pizza and drinking whiskey. It was a nice day.

I guess this is the best possible thing that could happen in regards to March 12. I am no longer haunted by that day, by what happened, by the thought that I lost everything.

Admittedly, I did lose everything. I lost my home. I lost my sense of belonging. I lost my friends and the family we had created with each other.

But now, everything is different. I found belonging in the newsroom. I found direction in journalism. Ironically, the worst day of my life was the cause of the greatest decision of my life. Funny how life turns out sometimes.

Last year when I wrote about the anniversary of the worst day of my life, I finished it by saying, "Happy goddamn anniversary, Kelly. Maybe next year it'll just be another day." I didn't think it would actually happen. But it did. It's just another day now.

Love you.
Mean it.





No comments:

Post a Comment