Monday, August 16, 2010

#73: Who is your favorite artist?

I know I'm going to be judged for this but I don't care.

My favorite artist is Jackson Pollock.

I find his art to be chaotic but beautiful. There's disorder and yet a certain harmony in all his works. It's as if all those colors, lines, and splashes know they're not suppose to work together and yet they do. It's like finding beauty in the unpredictable. Finding peace in confusion. Finding hope in anguish. It's real. It's true.





When I tell people that I love Jackson Pollock, most reply with something along the lines of, "Psh. He's not a real artist. He just splashes paint on a canvas. I can do that." This is true. Anyone can do what Pollock did. But there are two points I try to make.








One: yes, anyne can do what Pollock did but he did it first. Sometimes when it comes to art (I'm including literature, theater, music, fine art, etc) being the first to do something new is just as important as doing something perfectly.








Two: you can go and do what Pollock did. But you will not even come close to the beauty the man created. Pollock was an artist and this was the medium & method he chose. He worked on it for years. He perfected it. You can just splash paint on a canvas without any thought or process but you will not be able to achieve the beauty Pollock did.







I love Jackson Pollock's work. If anyone is a millionaire and wants to get me the most epic birthday present ever, get me an original Pollock.

Love you.
Mean it.

2 comments:

  1. My feeling when most people say "I could have done that," is, "Maybe you could have, but did you?"

    ReplyDelete