Sunday, June 20, 2010

Α, Β, Γ, Δ...

I walked home every night
in the gray, dark, dirty city.
One mile to the metro,
an hour long ride,
and, finally, a six-block walk
to my “home.”
I didn’t stop to read signs;
I couldn’t read them
I didn’t stop to buy food;
I couldn’t order any.
I didn’t stop to look at people;
I couldn’t talk to them,
and I couldn’t understand them.
To keep my heart from breaking
and my mind from despairing,
I’d repeat the Greek alphabet
over and over
faster and faster
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta…
Alpha, Beta, Gama, Delta…
I tried not to think
of the days ahead,
of the weeks ahead,
and of the months ahead.
I tried not to think of dad and mom,
family, friends, and home.
I tried not to think of being alone
in a city of five million.
My only thought
was trying to be faster than before.
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta…
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta…

No comments:

Post a Comment