Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hope at Mt. Pleasant

It's been years since I went
to a drive-in movie.
All of us
piled into the bed of the truck
a mass of bodies, blankets, and pillows
laughing at every joke on screen
and between us,
passing popcorn and sodas
and silently counting the shooting stars.
I'm more focused on catching each one
to make the same wish.

Now
driving back
I'm lying on the back seat.
Paul and Maria & Rachel
separated by a decade
fight over the radio
and exchange corny jokes.
Paul's jacket
rough against my cheek
serves as a decent pillow.
I can't remember the last time
I had so much fun.

Maybe things are getting better
but I can't be sure.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly, Love your Poem of the Mt. Pleasant Drive In (Basin). Could we share it on our blog: http://mtpleasantpioneer.blogspot.com/ ?
    I grew up with the Drive In Movie, and now live just a block and a half away. My children used to be able lay out on the lawn with a radio and watch the movie. Of course we would go and pay admission to the very best ones. As I was growing up, my girlfriends and I would go in our pajamas, with pillows, a homemade pizza and soda pop. Even though we may not have always watched the movie, we still had a great time. Then there were the times we went with a beau. We may not have always watched the movie then either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mt. Pleasant Pioneer,
    I'm flattered you want to share it on your blog and you are free to do so. There used to be two drive-ins near where I live but they closed down years ago. I didn't even know there were any left in Utah until my friends invited me to come. I really did have a blast.

    ReplyDelete