Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Atheist Christmas

As an atheist, Christmas is an odd time of the year for me. Since I don't believe in a god, the whole idea of him having a son that was sacrificed to save humanity is pretty much thrown out the window as well. So the concept of celebrating the birth of this son seems pretty ridiculous.

However, Christmas has always been my favorite holiday and I'm rather reluctant to give up this holiday entirely. As such, while my love of Christmas hasn't changed, I'm finding my reasons for my love is shifting. (I touched on this last year.) Without a belief in god, I've tried to find meaning and joy in Christmas without the whole Christ bit. (I'm Pat Robertson's worst nightmare)

One of the main “reasons for the season” that I have found meaning in can be found in Charles Dickens “A Christmas Carol.” I mentioned it last Christmas but I bring it up again because it really does exemplify my non-religious feelings about Christmas.

“I have always thought of Christmas Time...as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut up hearts, freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe it has done me good and will do me good; and I say God bless it!”

Now, minus that bit about god blessing it, Dicken's words perfectly reflect my feelings about Christmas. This idea of Christmas being a time when, for once, people look beyond themselves and try to be kinder to each other really appeals to my atheist secular humanist beliefs. You don't need to believe in god to believe in being kind, to make an sincere effort to help people who are in need of help. AndChristmas is as good of a time as ever to remember how fortunate you've been in your life, how many good things you have going for you and to remember how there are others who may not have it so good.

This is what I try to remember during Christmas. Despite what Pat Robertson may say, I'm not at war with Christmas. I don't want to destroy Christmas or make religious people miserable because I'm miserable. On the contrary, I'm not miserable and I want to make others happy this time of the year. Christmas is a time to be kinder, better people, to look beyond ourselves and help those in need. And god doesn't have to have anything to do with it.

Love you.
Mean it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment