Sunday, August 8, 2010

#47: Who have been your best friends throughout your life?

Growing up, my best friend was a girl who lived down the street. Her name was Kimi Smith. We did everything together. We played together every single day, we had sleep overs, we even sold pop in the summertime for 50 cents a can. We naively said we were going to be friends forever. Her family then moved to Wisconsin. I still remember the sound of her voice on the phone when she told me they were moving. Years later they moved back but too much time had passed for us to rekindle our friendship. So it goes.

In middle school I became friends with Heather Smith & Danielle Butler. We did everything together as well. We were more like sisters than best friends. We trusted each other, helped each other, and loved each other. They were there for me and I was there for them. We stayed close until about our Junior year in high school. Heather and I had a fight that resulted in her not speaking to me for months. I was devastated. I stayed close to Danielle as much as possible but she was in a tough spot having to split her time/loyalties between us. Eventually Heather & I forgave each other but things were never the same between us. I'm still friends with both of them to this day, more so with Danielle. I was one of Danielle's bridesmaids at her wedding a little over a year ago. And I was the only one with her when she found her wedding dress.

From my senior year of high school to this day I have a group of best friends that I love so much. There's Ashley & Amber McNew, Jacob Ludlow, & Paige McGuire. We all knew each other from drama classes and school plays. While I had known everyone else for a few years, Paige and I weren't really close until my senior year when A Cappella went on tour to California. Paige and I sat by each other and shared a bed in the hotel room. We became really close after that. These four are still some of my closest friends. They're the type that no matter how much time has passed, we can all get together and just pick up where we left off.

My freshman year of college, my best friend was Brian. He and I would stay up practically all night long talking. We did date for a few months but after that we still remained close. He told me once I was the first person he considered to be his best friend. I miss him.

Then there was Scott Spongberg. He and I were best friends for months. We told each other everything and spent practically all our time together. We even took a trip up to Canada together. We ended up dating. It didn't work out and it ended badly. We haven't spoken since.

My current best friend doesn't even carry the title of "best friend." We refer to each other as "Numero Uno." His name is Sean Kendall. We became friends when I was best friends with Scott. We decided we needed our own unique title for our friendship so Sean suggested Numero Unos. Even after I no longer considered Scott my best friend, our title didn't change. I owe a lot to Sean. He's been there for me when no one else has. He's helped me a lot over the last few months. I've helped him with everything that has come up in his life as well, from stupid girl problems, school, family problems, and lots more. He's good for me and I think I'm good for him too. He's one of the few people I trust completely. I'm planning on writing a whole separate post about him so stay tuned.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment