Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Breakup Letter With 2010

Dear 2010,

I think you know what this is. You know it's been coming for a while now. You & I just aren't right for each other. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're toxic for me. In the time we've spent together, I've been hurt so much. I can't do it anymore. It's time we went our separate ways.

I know what you're thinking. We did have some really great moments together, like when I discovered the genius that was David Foster Wallace or when Greg & Ali got married. I started writing for the UVU Review and quickly became the Assistant Culture Editor. I found an amazing friendship with Jon Timothy and made a lot of other new friends here in Provo.  I met Dr. Crane and he quickly became my favorite professor at UVU. Jon Stewart, one of my greatest heros, put on the Rally to Restore Sanity, which was just epic. I visited Sean in Vernal and my friends in Cedar. My family got a new dog named Randy who just loves me. And above everything else, I've developed my passion for writing and have found real joy in it.

I'll never deny that these were really, really good times, 2010. But they don't cancel out all of the heartache and pain we shared. I spent nearly the entire year reprising my role as Kelly, the Dateless Wonder. I had to say goodbye to two of my dogs, Jenny & Scotty and endure many nights of being alone. But more than anything else, my move from Cedar City to Provo was by far the most painful & heartbreaking thing I had to endure this year. I was left alone without the support and comfort of my friends, and had to learn to adjust to a place I hadn't called home in four years. There were many trials and pain I had to get through when it came to problems with my family. And even though now, at the end of our relationship things have gotten better, 2010, I'll never be able to forget how hard you've been for me.

So it's time to say goodbye, 2010. I'd be lying if I said I'll miss you.

Good Goddamn Riddance.

Love you.
Mean it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I commented yesterday and it didn't save! I just wanted to say... this letter is cool. And so are you.

    ReplyDelete