Friday, May 25, 2012

Atheism and religious music

I am an atheist. I don't believe in god, a higher power, some mystic energy, or anything like that. My view of the world is based on the idea of "what men do," meaning that everything in this existence, both good and bad, is the result of mankind and mankind only.

That being said, some of the most beautiful music I have ever enjoyed has been religious music. Most of my life, this didn't bother me since I was somewhat religious, if very bad at it. Yesterday at my sister's high school graduation, the choir sang two songs that are religious. I sang them at my graduation when I was in the choir. They are beautiful songs. But I began to think about their lyrics for the first time from an atheist perspective. As I've stated before, I listen to music mostly for the lyrics. And now that the lyrics from religious songs are no longer relevant to me (or worse, they say the exact opposite of what I believe in), does that mean I can no longer enjoy them?

Well, no. At least, I don't think so. Again, some religious music is incredibly beautiful both in melody and lyrics. And while I no longer believe in the words they are saying, I still find enjoyment in their beauty. For instance, here is one of the songs they sang yesterday: "Come Thou Fount."

Sorry it's MoTab. But isn't that beautiful? Even if you just listen without trying to pick up on the lyrics, it's glorious. Then you listen to the lyrics and it's even more beautiful. Maybe it's just the remnants of theistic upbringing but the part that says, "Prone to wander, lord I feel it. Prone to leave the god I love." There is a sadness and desire to be better in those words. And while I no longer believe in the need to please any god with how I live my life, I still remember those days of despair and desire to be with the god I loved.

The other song they sang yesterday was "Go Ye Now in Peace."

Still to this day, it's hard for me to listen to this song without tearing up. It reminds me so much of Mr. Larsen, our choir teacher in high school. This song is always taught in his A Cappella class at the end of every year. I like to think it's Mr. Larsen's way of saying goodbye to all the seniors. Mr. Larsen is a great teacher and a great man. He has touched so many lives and all of his students have nothing but love and respect for him.

The words to this song are absolutely stunning. Again, this may just be my old theistic ways talking but the concept of leaving in peace and knowing that you will be protected and loved is a beautiful idea. And even though I consider such ideas to be complete bullshit, I still can feel the appeal of such an idea. It's a lot less scary than going out on your own. Trust me. I've done both.

Not all of my favorite religious songs are so blatantly spiritual (and perhaps didactic). This one is called "Lamentations of Jeremiah."


It's all in Latin and it's still to this day one of the most powerful and haunting choral pieces I've ever heard. I'm getting chills just listening to it. It's from the bible and while my bible knowledge is shaky (at best) I know it's Jeremiah lamenting the destruction of Jerusalem. And while religious, it's hauntingly beautiful.

I think I've made my point (if I even had one to prove to begin with). So I'll leave you with a few more of my favorites.

"Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho"

"Amazing Grace" by the Dropkick Murphys. For a long time I wanted this played at my funeral.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment