Saturday, May 22, 2010

Damnit, Jim! I'm a writer, not a physicist!

I just got done failing my physics exam.

I usually like little moments where I'm reminded that I chose the right major. I was meant to study literature and movies and to write. I don't care for moments where I fail at something and think, "Oh, right. I should just stick with what I'm good at." It's a horrible feeling. I don't mean to sound prideful, but I'm good at nearly everything I try. I have always been a good student. I was reading at a first grade level by the time I left pre-school. I was on the honor roll all throughout high school and the Dean's List in college. But I'm becoming more and more aware of things I am not good at. These things, though terribly annoying, are a good reminder for me. As anyone who knows me can attest, I have a slight problem with pride. But all those things that I'm lousy at help keep me humble. So the following is a list of things that I suck at.

1)Physics-- no duh. I can do the math parts no problem. But the concepts are very difficult for me to wrap my head around.

2)Chemistry-- much like physics, I can do the math but not the concepts.

3)Basketball-- The whole hand eye coordination thing is lost on me.

4)Keeping rhythm-- This also means I can't dance.

5)Cooking-- Can't do it. Something disastrous always happens. However, I can bake like no one's business.

6)Spelling-- While writing this post, I've had to revert to my dictionary at least five times.

That's all I can think of right now but I know I could fill a lot of very thick books with all the other things I can't do. But it's okay. Like I said above, I know what I'm good at and I know what I love to do. So I'm going to stick with that. Studying English is my calling in life. And I'm going to keep doing it and hopefully figure out a way to make a career out of it.

But I still have to do physics. And I hate it.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment