Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cause That's What Friends Do


Recently this scene from The Town was played at the GOP Caucus meeting for some random reason. While it may have something to do with the recent debt crisis, I'm going to use it to illustrate another point. This scene, to me, is the epitome of true friendship. No questions. No objections. Just simple loyalty.

I've mentioned my thoughts on friendship before. Essentially, when I consider you my friend, it comes with a fierce loyalty and an unwavering trust. It's just how friendship works in my mind.

Over the past week, I've had some kind of interesting experiences that bring my definition of friendship into light. First I had a friend tell me she thought she was pregnant. I dropped everything, drove over to her place, picked her up, drove to a store, bought a pregnancy test, and drove her back to her house. Luckily it was just a false alarm. Once I knew she was okay and we hung out a bit, I realized I had a million and one things to get done and now only little time to do it. All of the stresses in my life suddenly became less important after hearing she needed help.

And then yesterday, I was talking to a dear friend of mine who told me he needed $100 in order to pay his phone bill. I told him I could loan him the money and five minutes later, we're at an ATM. Again, whether or not I might need this money never crossed my mind. All I knew was he needed help.

I'm not telling these stories to brag or to make myself look good. In fact, many could argue that these examples prove what a sucker I could be. But these examples show exactly what being a friend means to me. No questions. No objections. Just simple loyalty.

If someone were to ask me why I did either of those things, my response would be the same,

"Cause that's what friends do."

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment