Monday, January 3, 2011

#13 What always attracts you to a member of the opposite sex or what are you a sucker for?

I have always been attracted to intellectual dorks. I don't know what it is about a smart guy that makes my little heart go pitter-patter. I guess it could be that any regular dime-a-dozen guy could talk about football or movies (two things I also like), but it takes a really exceptional guy to talk about the influence Kurt Vonnegut had on Chuck Palahniuk's writing or the increase in political activism within my own generation.

However, the guy I'm most attracted to also has to be kind of a dork. There has to be that subtle hint of awkwardness or a vast knowledge of something really obscure and/or something terribly dorky. I really have no explanation as to why I like a twinge of awkwardness in my guys. My affinity for dorkiness can probably be attributed to the fact I'm also a pretty big dork. I can talk your ear off about American literature, bad-ass movies, Russian literature, Allen Ginsberg, the poetry of Charles Bukowski, and other really random subjects. If I don't have a guy who is just as weird as me and who takes a topic I've introduced & run with it, I end up feeling really awkward & angry, which is a odd combination, I'll admit. Maybe that's why I like a guy who's slightly awkward because that's really how I am (though I think I'm a bit more than just "slightly" awkward. I sometimes think I'm too awkward to function.).

The other feature I find so incredibly attractive is a guy who can make me laugh. I love a guy who is clever & has a sharp wit. This is fairly understandable when you consider my intense abhorrence for serious (aka boring) people. I know that there are certain situations that require me to take seriously but those are very few. I like a guy who can laugh at pretty much any type of situation. He is respectful, yes, but that doesn't mean he can't whisper a clever observation to me, even if it's morbid. That's really how I work and attack life. I try as hard as I can to see the humor or irony of every situation. If I have a guy who is too serious or is too easily offended, that relationship isn't going to last long, if it starts at all.

So, yeah. I like my guys smart, awkward, and clever.

Love you.
Mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment